Monday, June 16, 2008

Man Camp Numero Uno

Good afternoon my beloved readers. I decided I should break my silence and write on my lonely blog. Summer is here. Ridiculous. In two months, my home will be back in the states, back to consumerism, back to sad and desperate America. However, Texas has not reclaimed me yet. I still am here on the island....quite literally. One of the additional activities that I have the pleasure of aiding with is called Man Camp. What is Man camp? Do we teach the Dominican boys how to scratch our bellies and belch? Well, not exactly. Our overall goal for this once a week adventure consists in discipleship, discipline, and desire for something better. Most of these muchachos that we have focused on have no positive role model in their lives. Instead they look up to men who have multiple women, drink Rum like water, and not push their kids towards success or God. To remedy (overhaul) their lives we are pursuing them on a more intentional basis. This last Friday we launched the program. Tepera and Paul (the interns) headed up the program. We began by playing basketball with about 7 or 8 boys. By the time we paused for break, many more stragglers huddled over by our circle. Tep started us off with prayer (in which I translated)...then we began reading through Titus 2:6-7. In this book, Paul exhorts those to be examples for others. Show Christ by your own life. How much the kids understood this scripture, I do not know. I did lay down the law with them. Sharing with them that Paul and Tep were not here to goof off with poor kids. They are here to talk about their real relationship with Jesus Christ. Continuing, I told them how important it was to set good examples for their younger siblings and to change the pattern in most Dominican males. Most paid attention. I pray that this information settled into their skulls. We told them to come prepared each week to play, learn sportsmanship, and to hear more about God's word. I am stoked. It is really reminiscent of Young Life. Love it.

keep me lifted up.

No comments: